Thursday, October 22, 2009

Taxes and Prostitutes

So I have formulated a tentative plan of short term goals for the next year. Unfortunately, the first steps of all of them have to be started now. Plan A - Prepare taxes in the spring and hopefully get a job with either the government or top 10-20 accounting firm. Plan B - get my masters (in accounting) or MBA (in accounting or public/non profit mgmt). And the things that I'm doing no matter what - CPA. Currently, I'm studying for Regulation which consists of taxes, business law, and professional responsibilities. I've passed two parts (BEC and Audit) on the first try this past summer, but I'm a little nervous with REG because of all the minutiae (sp?). Oh well. At least I'm only working part time right now.

Oddly, I'm starting to feel pretty busy. In order to prepare taxes, I have to be registered. In order to become a registered tax preparer, I have to take classes. It doesn't matter that I've prepared taxes before (for multi-millionaire executives, btw) or taken Tax I and II. It's kind of odd, but whatevs. California's kind of odd. So I'm fulfilling this requirement by taking classes at my neighborhood Liberty Tax. HI-larious. I used to make fun of those people dressed up as Lady Lib on the side of the road advertising tax prep. I thought about going with HR Block, but heard more heinous things about them while browsing the interwebs. Anyway, my first class was last night and I wanted to die. It was the silliest class that I've ever been privy to attend. The instructor did not have an answer key to the homework and had the class vote on the correct answer. ugh. I noticed several mistakes, but did not speak up. For a reason, of course. Taking the classes that these chain tax preps offer do NOT guarantee employment. I realized that the people in these classes are unfortunately my competition to getting a paid tax preparer job. And I'd rather have a leg up on these people. I feel slightly bad, but the answer is right in front of their faces. It's probably good of me to not say anything and protect the public from people who could potentially eff with their tax returns. (You're welcome, public) Anyway, during one of the breaks, one of my "classmates" started talking about how the economy's so bad that she's thinking of prostitution. HA! What?!! WTF. And the person next to her awkwardly started joking about it with her. "Yeah! F the economy! I'm selling my body!" THEN my entrepreneurial classmate went on about how MINISTERS are the growing sector of clientele for ladies of the night. HA! ahahahahahahaha. Oh man. Wow. That is market research at its best. She then went onto explain that this sector is growing because they need the utmost discretion. Hmmmmmm. Has this woman never heard of a Tarts and Vicars party? oh well. She droned on, but I ended up just rolling my eyes and shutting her nonsense out. Even though she was annoying, she did provide me with the highpoint of my week (with the exception of getting a part time job...not prostitution. I'm not discrete enough).

No comments:

Post a Comment